Northwood Halt was opened by the GWR in June 1935 and was in use until the end of BR services beyond Bewdley in 1963. It was well used by fishermen, ramblers and day trippers, and was immediately re-opened when the SVR extended services to Bewdley in 1974.
Today Northwood Halt is a request stop. Passengers must raise an arm facing the approaching train and inform the guard when returning before they board the train. The halt is unstaffed so passengers must purchase tickets on the train. Due to the non-provision of lighting on the platform trains will only call during daylight hours.
The adjacent level crossing is now protected by colour light signals and an audible warning. The level crossing was the scene of 2 serious accidents in 1947 and 1964.
The halt features a substantial one coach length grassy platform and new pagoda style building which replaced the previous life expired wooden structure. The pagoda was built through the combined effort of Friends of Kidderminster Town Station & Bewdley Station Staff and was partially funded by various sponsors. The building was erected on site in March 2006 and is the first pagoda to be built from scratch with all new parts since the end of the GWR in 1948.
For more information on the award winning pagoda project please follow the link below:
The new “Northwood Halt” sign was errected in August 2008 to replace the life expired example removed when the wooden hut was demolished in 2006.